Sunday, May 27, 2012

Watering flowers - French Culture, St Cyprien, SNS



These pictures of me watering Monique's garden are the "cherry on top" of my summering in France.  I had been to Paris in 2008, traveling by Eurostar from London and had seen the countryside of France at 180mph. I knew then that someday, I wanted to drive down those roads and explore more of what I had seen.  For several years, I would think about it from time to time and finally when deciding how to celebrate my 50th birthday, I dared to start dreaming.  I dared to see myself there, living in a community of people and experiencing life, even just for a little while, among them.  From that vision, I began to make lists on what I would need to do to make it happen.  First, I began my search for a place to "fit in".  It so happens that the very first place I saw, was the one I would eventually choose.  After talking to the owner, Suki, I knew right away that this was the place I'd imagined in my dreaming.  But, I continued my search just to be sure. Next, I began the long year of preparations. I purchases Rosetta Stone and began learning the French language (un peu). I spent many evenings in bed with my headset on fumbling to pronounce these strange new words, but I loved every minute of it.  I would practice it in my daily life and drove my kids crazy.  "Mom, seriously, stop!"  Jeff and I are not wealthy, not even close, and when I would tell people about my month long trip abroad, I'm sure they wondered how in the world I could afford it.  But when you want something so badly, you find a way to make it happen.  I vowed not to take any of our "family money", so I came up with a plan to make the extra money myself.  I started buying up old ornate frames at yard sales and junk stores, I painted and distressed them, I had metal cut for them and painted them with coat after coat of chalkboard paint.  Jeff helped me with the assembly of each one.  I made them in all sizes so if someone wanted one, they could find one they could afford.  I hauled them to craft shows in Tennessee and Kentucky starting in the fall all the way up to Christmas.  I made a lot of money, but still fell a little short.  Determined to make all the money for my trip, in January, I took a seasonal job in a tax office, which ended of course on April 15th. That gave me just under a month to work out all the final details.  I had planned to go alone because Jeff had no desire to do such a thing.  People thought I was crazy.  In hindsight, I probably was, but I wasn't afraid.  My son, Kurt, was completing his graduate degree at Colorado State in early May and moving to Nashville, so it happened that he was able to go with me.  With no time to move into a place, he put his belongings in storage and planned to explore Europe while I "lived" in France.  I am so glad God saw fit to send him with me.  He was my rock and was such a help to me from the moment we landed and tried to get my rental car.  I would have been so lonely without him. My experiences would have been hollow without someone to share them with.  My daughter, Chelsea, my sister, Kathy and my mother were able to spend a week with us, too.  I wish I could have shared this experience with everyone of my family and friends and this blog was a way of doing that.

Watering my friend, Monique's, garden


And then...she became one of them...



Today we slept until 11 and drove to brickabrack in Le Bugue. We have to learn more about their culture. Lots of signs, lots of people, but the brickabrack, not much. As far as we could tell, it was just some little carnival type rides…hmmmm. 

Two cute children stopped us outside the house this morning asking for directions to Finsac. We were able to direct them ala gauche. As we headed to Le Bugue, we came up behind them climbing a big hill to Finsac pushing their bikes.

 We had seen banners for a Fete' in Finsac, so we decided to go. Well…there was a small pony ride in someone’s yard and a homemade wooden motorcycle merry-go-round in another.  That’s all…hmmm. 
                                                               
                                                                     *************

We took Chelsea to the Saint Cyprien church. Then home for a leisurely afternoon.
 St Cyprien Church

 Architecture

Roses, everywhere
 Even France's electric poles are fancy!


 No clothes dryer, just sweet smelling country air

 Suki, your roses are blooming!

Breakfast for SNS

 Again, caught not knowing the culture well enough, and forgetting that everything is closed on Sunday, we will have ham, French toast, and homemade hashbrowns for Sunday night supper. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment